17 August 2011

Review: Dark Descendant

Dark Descendant (Descendants, #1)Dark Descendant by Jenna Black

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Dark Descendant is a quick read. Jenna Black has a way of writing that is very fast-paced, and I managed to finish the book in just a few hours.


While the quick pace keeps the story moving forward, it doesn't leave much time for character development, or much elaboration in other areas. Aside from mention, not much else is given about the Gods, or their descendants. Even with the main villains, Konstantin and Alexis, the reader is left wondering much about these characters. Even by the end of the novel, I am still left with a large number of questions about the world.

Another issue I found was with the main character, Nikki Glass. The story is told in 1st person, and she is our narrator. This works out fairly well, as it allows the reader get a feel for who Nikki is and how she thinks. However, it seemed that we were often told who she was, rather than really shown. "I'm a bleeding heart" was one very common line, as well as a few others I cannot recall off-hand. Sure, she may be strong, good at her job (Private Investigator), but we are told this repeatedly and often, by Nikki.

While there are some issues with the novel I find a bit awkward or off-putting, it was certainly not a bad way to spend a couple of hours. After only a few pages I was hooked, and had to read the book to its end before anything else. I will likely pick up the second book in the series, as well, which should be out early 2012.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment