15 August 2011

Review: Elantris

ElantrisElantris by Brandon Sanderson

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Elantris is a bit of a mix, for me. I like some aspects of the novel, but others seemed to drag on, and on, and on... It took me far longer to read this novel than it should.


First of all, I should mention the world is amazing - it's extensive, it feels real, and the magic is explained in a way that is both interesting and makes sense. There are a lot of different magical terms, country names, and religions in the book, but not once did I get lost or confused about what-was-what or who-was-who. It was gradually explained and by the time things started happening, I was all set.

And things did happen. Quickly at first, keeping my interest, and then the plot stumbles into Boring-Town. And it's a long, slow, trip through Boring-Town. Here, it all starts getting repetitive. It goes in circles between the three main characters' point-of-view's for much of the middle of the novel, all trying to decide what to do next and how to counter their opponents moves. Things really only start moving forward again (at a reasonable pace) in the last 100-or-so pages.

The last portion of the novel is where the fun really starts, and it's a shame it is so short compared to the rest. The end is put together fairly well, leaving some things open just in case. All said, it is a solid fantasy novel. It's not amazing, but it is worth reading at least once.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment