17 August 2011

Review: Nightschool, Volume 4

Nightschool: The Weirn Books, Vol. 4Nightschool: The Weirn Books, Vol. 4 by Svetlana Chmakova

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I don't like cliff-hangers like this, at all. It's one thing to leave suspense, things left unfinished.. but.. not done this way. This volume felt almost rushed through the second half, like there were so many ideas and plot points that needed to be combined into only a specific amount of pages. Why not make it one extra volume? If it means keeping the book at a proper pace, fleshing out the villains, adding more depth, and helping us (readers) understand their motivations... why not?

Sure, it's not all that complicated to begin with, but the series arc deserves better than a rushed ending like this. Even the ending itself, which I will not spoil, felt almost like it was an after-thought, or a cop-out. It was quite disappointing ending compared to those of the previous volumes.

Still, I will give this book 4 stars. I really did enjoy it, overall, despite the issues I had with the story. Svetlana Chmakova is one of my favourite artists, and her work really does make her novels shine. I will be picking up the next volumes in the series, once it starts up again. I only hope the series strays away from cliches like that one from here-on-out.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment