18 August 2011

Review: Switched

Switched (Trylle Trilogy, #1)Switched by Amanda Hocking

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


There were a few things that bothered me about Switched from the outset, but it was hard to really pin-point just what it was at first. As I continued with the book I realized it was  the main character, Wendy, that seemed a little unrealistic. I found myself asking questions about her character, and I could not help but feel she was, well.. not very smart.

She lets a young man into her room, even though she doesn't want him there, and repeatedly does things she considers are a bad idea. At first she is concerned about her family, but once she leaves she seems to forget them all entirely. Wendy's decisions seem to be used to push the story along, and didn't always make sense. I just didn't understand why she was doing these things, and her role in the story seemed very passive. True, she is supposed to be young, but she lacks basic common sense... and any real drive to do anything for herself.

With the novel itself, I found myself counting how many times Wendy used the word 'foxy' to describe a male in her vicinity. Foxy really doesn't tell me much, and it is a little much to have it used repeatedly. There are other words, better words, that can be used to express the same thing.

Regardless, I finished the book. I just don't like it enough to continue with the series.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment