21 September 2011

Review: Cold Magic

Cold Magic (The Spiritwalker Trilogy, #1)Cold Magic by Kate Elliott

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

From Goodreads
It is the dawn of a new age... The Industrial Revolution has begun, factories are springing up across the country, and new technologies are transforming in the cities. But the old ways do not die easy. 
Young Cat Barahal thinks she understands the world she lives in and her place in it, but in fact she is merely poised, unaware, on the brink of shattering events. Drawn into a labyrinth of politics involving blood, betrayal and old feuds, she will be forced to make an unexpected and perilous journey in order to discover the truth, not just about her own family but about an ancient secret lying at the heart of her world. 


I discovered Kate Elliott's works when I picked up Spirit Gate (which I started in 2009 and never finished, due to time..) and really enjoyed both her writing style and her way of weaving worlds. Cold Magic was new and the premise seemed intriguing.

I did not immediately get into the story as is was quite slow in starting out, and even somewhat confusing in parts. My favourite portion of the novel was the last half when things finally started happening. I was disappointed, by then, that it seemed to end so soon. I have been eagerly awaiting the next book in the series, Cold Fire, since then. And I'll be searching out that book soon enough.

(I still don't like the cover so much but that's really a personal thing rather than relating to the book itself.)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment