19 September 2011

Review: Heroes 'Til Curfew & Impulse Control

Heroes 'Til Curfew (Talent Chronicles #2)Heroes 'Til Curfew, Talent Chronicles #2 by Susan Bischoff

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

From Goodreads
All Joss wants is to be left alone—with Dylan. But as more Talents are imprisoned by the government, everyone’s looking for a leader. Some look to Joss, some to Marco whose new criminal plan threatens Joss’s family and friends. Joss wants to stand up to Marco, but Dylan’s protective instincts are putting him in harm’s way. Can Joss find a way to embrace both the boy and her hero within? 

When I read Hush Money  mid-August, and posted my review, I did not expect the sequel to be out within the very same month. In fact, I did not even find out about it until a few days into September, and at that point I had to find and purchase the e-book right away. Smashwords had what I was looking for, and at a reasonable price of $2.99. Hush Money was $1.00 when I picked it up, and the slight increase in cost for this book is worth it, in every sense.

Heroes 'Til Curfew takes a slightly more adult turn from Hush Money, as the relationship between Dylan and Joss becomes more serious. It does not come across as unexpected or crude, and it seems more part of the plot rather than scenes scattered throughout a meager plot line. Romance is definitely a part of the story, but it makes sense and doesn't come across forced. (And, given my issues with certain other books, I do feel the need to mention this.) There is also a very delicate topic that comes up in the story and, while the subject disturbs me, it was dealt with seriously and carefully. I also did not get the impression that is was brought up carelessly.

Another difference in this volume, from the first, is that Marco is added in as a Point-of-View. Thankfully, he's only the focus a few times, as Susan Bischoff did an excellent job of making Marco absolutely deplorable. I could not relate to him in any way and found it difficult to follow his POV for any extended amount of time.

Again, as with Hush Money, the story and characters are both interesting and realistic. All it took was two books from Susan Bischoff to get me hooked on her work - I will definitely be picking up other books in this series and by this author. (Which I did, actually.. )

--

Impulse Control (Talent Chronicles, #0.5)Impulse Control, Talents Chronicles #0.5 by Susan Bischoff

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

From Goodreads
In the world of the Talent Chronicles, kids born with supernatural powers are taken from their families and forced into government research facilities called State Schools. At one such school, a dangerous experiment has killed two young inmates and threatens others. Ethan, a shape-shifter, is reluctantly recruited by his best friend Karen, a telepath, and Elle, the unique Talent he has a crush on, to thwart the faculty's plans. If they’re caught they face Detention, and Detention at a State School has a whole different meaning.  

Impulse Control is a short story and prequel to Hush Money. I found it an enjoyable and informative read regarding the world and helpful in showing us what State Schools are all about. (Rather than just being some Mysterious Thing to be Avoided.) As a plus, it's also available on Smashwords to read for free.

I don't want to go too much into the plot and spoil all the fun.. but I will say it's a nice introduction to the series for newcomers, or as an add-on for those who have read the others.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment