15 October 2011

A Bride's Story, Volume #1

A Bride's Story, Vol. 1 (A Bride's Story, #1)A Bride's Story, Vol. 1 by Kaoru Mori

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

From Goodreads
Amira is twenty years old when she marries her husband, a boy named Karluk from a neighboring village. Adjusting to life in a new household can be trying for any young bride, but Amira's husband is eight years her junior! Amira was a strong, sophisticated hunter and horsewoman in her village, but though their villages were next to each other, their customs are very different. As Amira introduces Karluk to the foods and pastimes that were popular among her comrades back home, the warmth she feels for her young husband grows

I didn't really know what to expect when I picked up this series - the title would normally be enough to drive me away completely, but the cover is just so beautiful that I had to, in the very least, open the book.

It did not take me long to finish the volume, either. The romance is very light and believable for the setting, and it seemed to take a back-seat as the story was unfolding. It's more about the world, the culture, and the people than about the romance between the new bride and her (very young) husband.

The artwork is, well.. it's amazing. It's complex and beautiful, and works perfectly with a story such as this. The expressions, too, were done very well and honestly, I spent most of my time admiring both that and the backgrounds.

Later on in the series there is a slight divergence from the main story line, and I stopped reading about the same time. It's a beautiful work with an interesting world, but the type of slow-paced stories like this are not really to my liking.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment