11 October 2011

Kobo eReader Touch

A few days ago, late in the evening, I made a trip to Walmart. I avoid the stores like the plague, normally, but this time I had a quest mission. To purchase the Kobo eReader Touch.

Yes, I finally caved and gave-in to acquiring an eReader for myself. For the product itself it cost me around $155 CAD (including tax), not counting any accessories. I planned to buy a case that day, but Walmart provided me with one colour option - pink. I think I'll wait...

This is the first eReader I have owned, so the entire thing is new to me and I know very little of what to expect from it. That's not to say I didn't research and compare my options. Originally, I was dead-set on owning Amazon's Kindle. Until, that is, I found out how exclusive it really is. Nook was my second choice, but I ultimately chose to go with the kobo because it seemed to provide the most options, especially eBook file types, than any of the others.

One thing I found is that the software seems very, very slow. It's slow to start up after I switch the power button, slow to open a book when I make a choice, and sometimes slow to turn the page. I don't think I am being unfair to ask for an instant response... even if only just some sort of indication (even if a quick 'loading' symbol) that my input was received. I was reading Just a Geek during the Thanksgiving weekend and I'd tap the screen to turn the page and... wait.. and.. nothing. So I'd tap the screen again. And it would jump ahead 3,4,5 pages. Kobo eReader is just a little touchy.

I don't know if this is a usual thing for eReaders - as I said, this is the only one I have purchased or used. Overall, I do find it useful and do like the product, but there are a few things I know can be improved. Hopefully future software upgrades can work out the kinks.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the Kobo! Great blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you found it helpful.

    ReplyDelete