11 December 2011

Seriously... I'm Kidding

Seriously... I'm KiddingSeriously... I'm Kidding by Ellen DeGeneres

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

From Goodreads
"Sometimes the greatest things are the most embarrassing." Ellen Degeneres' winning, upbeat candor has made her show one of the most popular, resilient and honored daytime shows on the air. (To date, it has won no fewer than 31 Emmys.) Seriously... I'm Kidding, Degeneres' first book in eight years, brings us up to date about the life of a kindhearted woman who bowed out of American Idol because she didn't want to be mean. Lively; hilarious; often sweetly poignant.

First off, I should mention that while I know of Ellen DeGeneres I do not follow her work or her show. (Not that I haven't seen an episode or two, but it just hasn't kept my attention.) Nor have I checked out any of her previous books, so I knew little of what to expect. I purchased her book simply because I found the description on the back cover to be amusing, and it brought a smile to my face. Instead of quotes from other authors about the book, she chose to go with her own "quotes" of compliments toward her reader. It's an interesting way to do it, and it got my attention - if the inside of the book was anything like this, well.. I was sure to enjoy it.

Well, that wasn't exactly the case.

While portions of the book made me laugh aloud, some for a few minutes at a time, there was a lot missing from this book. Many chapters seemed only added to increase the page count to something reasonable. We were given multiple "colouring pages" for children in one chapter, one that featured "sounds" for Audio readers, while another was a 140 character Tweet! What is this?

The message, apparently, is "Be Happy!" but I never really got the sense from the book. Some parts were funny, sure, but it gave nothing I did not already know. And a lot of it really wasn't all that interesting, inspirational, or even funny. Much of the book is of trivial things, and we are given little-to-no insight into Ellen's life.

I purchased this book at Chapters for $30, will a 30% discount, so the price wasn't too bad. Still, it was definitely not worth it, at all. If you really want to check out the book, read it in store or borrow it from a friend. Don't buy it - you'll just be wasting your money.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment