27 December 2011

Spectyre by Philippa Ballantine

Spectyr (Book of the Order, #2)Spectyr by Philippa Ballantine

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


From Goodreads
Though one of the most powerful Deacons, Sorcha Faris has a tarnished reputation to overcome, which is why she jumps at the chance to investigate a string of murders in the exotic city of Orithal. But it is there that her lover, the shapeshifting rival to the throne, is targeted by a cruel and vengeful goddess, unwittingly unleashed by the Emperor's sister.

I read Geist, the first book in the series, in early October and knew right then that I had to read the rest of Philippa Ballantine's books as soon as I could. Geist was just that good. Spectyre, unsurprisingly, is very much the same in that sense.

With the groundwork laid on in the first novel, Spectyre continues on from where Geist left us off. We get a closer look into each character and Sorcha's partner, Merrick, gets a little more focus as well. As with the plot... I never knew just where it was all going. It is a very character-driven story and the story the characters weave together is interesting and unpredictable, without being completely unexpected. The ending, which I won't get into too much, was both surprising and left many questions. One of the most important being: When is the next one coming out? (I kid, I kid..)

Joking aside, I eagerly await the next novel in the series. There was a huge Cliffhanger Ending and, while I usually dislike such endings, it leaves me wondering what will happen to Sorcha and her companions. It's not a cliffhanger that left me upset, though - it was a fitting end to a story arc like this one.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment